My Pages

Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Digipack

After conducting my research into Digipacks I started to produce my front cover. I decided to initially use the mask as the theme as it was designed to be iconic and frequently seen in the video. Also I ensured that the audience concentrated on the mask by showing the shot of the main protagonist putting it on and then using it. I decided to take the picture with a low level of lighting to attempt to create a certain amount of mystery and also to allow it to blend in and ensure that the yellow stood out. 

I decided that I wanted to make the cover to be as good as possible but in doing so I wanted to get feedback to ensure that my views were echoed by others. I therefore constructed a brief quiz on SurveyMonkey and created 5 different mock ups of the front cover. All included the same image however they had all been changed slightly. 

Design 1
"Like it, it looks like the mask is coming towards you."
"Like the way its not very bright - very effective!"
"I like the font on black background."

Design 2
"I like the concept but it is a bit dark"
"Can barely see it"
"Maybe make it brighter"

Design 3
"I can't see its the mask anymore"
"The paint isn't very accurate"
"It's not the same colour"
Design 4
"I like it, it makes the text stand out"
"Might be too dark"
"Blends in with the background too much"

Design 5
"Similar to number 1, but I preferred it slanted"
"Like it, might look good on the poster"
"Maybe use the whole mask"
One of the questions asked in my survey - Digipack 1 was most popular
After looking at the feedback it was obvious that they decided that design 1 was the best. I therefore put this through into my final digipack which can be viewed at the end of this post. After finishing the front cover I had to decide what to put on the inside spread. I decided that due to the fact that the dubstep and drum and bass industry is a niche genre it means that often the listeners do not know who the artists actually are or what they look like.

Therefore I have incorporated images of the two main protagonists into the inside spread. After picking the two photos I then included their stage names and real names whilst still following the white, black, yellow theme which follows throughout the digipack. I then chose to turn the backgrounds black and white to focus more on the main protagonists and also included a yellow glow to compliment the yellow found on the front cover. After doing this I asked my audience if they liked it, which they did and so I kept the two images as they were.

Inside Cover Design


Inside Cover Design

For the back cover I decided to incorporate the use of the image which was used in the video and also in the digipack. I have created this link so that the audience knows that the two are the same and also it creates a link between the two that people can understand. I have used the idea of trying to embed the track list into the actual image, using the image of the roundabout, with an attempt to engage the reader. By changing each exit to a track name it could be mistaken for an actual sign until you look again. 

When I was asking my fellow peers about the back cover they said that they liked it however it didn't follow the yellow theme that seemed to be conveyed through the whole digipack. Obviously I have used the yellow for the text but they believed I needed more yellow and so I changed it and then sought feedback again. 

Design 1 for my back cover

Using photoshop I created a new layer which was just the sign and included an outer glow on the sign. I ensured that the colour was the same yellow used and then I asked my peers for feedback. They decided that this looked better, especially when put alongside the rest of the digipack and so I chose to keep it. 

Editing my back cover design to include yellow outer glow

After completing all 4 different parts I then had to put them together in the digipack format whilst ensuring that they all met the relevant specifications. I ended up by using a template of the digipack and then again using photoshop, imported the layers and moved them into the correct positions. Also I had to include a spine which I kept the same font as the front cover. 

Final Digipack Design

No comments:

Post a Comment